About the course
The rigger course has 2 sections.
- Free access section is for you to try out and get a feel of the course structure and content. It is a complete lesson and not a scaled-down sample. You do not need to register, log-in or buy anything. Another use of this free access is an opportunity to resolve any browser issues when viewing this course. Refer below for recommended browsers.
If you are comfortable with it, you may proceed to the subscribed section for more.
- Subscribed section contains 7 lessons. You first have to log-in before purchase to view this section. To log-in you will have to create a new account , if you do not have one.
Recommended browser and settings to view this course
For desk and lap tops, all courses are displayed in a pop-up window.
Please disable the pop-up blocker and enable java-script in your browser.
Recommended browsers for viewing the course:
Flash: Adobe Flash Player 10.3 or later plus any of these web browsers
- Windows: Internet Explorer 8+. Google Chrome / Firefox (latest version)
- Mac: Safari 7+, Google Chrome (latest version)
Mobile versions will be displayed in a "mobile player app" which will auto-download from the app store.
- IOS mobile: Apple IOs 7 or later (a mobile player from Apple app store will auto-download)
- Android mobile: Android OS4.1 or later (a mobile player from Google app store will auto-download)
Summary of lessons
Determining load weight - introduction
1. Understand why it is important to know the weight of the load.
2. Choose acceptable methods to obtain weight information.
3. Avoid unacceptable methods to obtain weight information.
4. Learn helpful tips for easier load calculation.
Selection and use of rigging hardware
1. Identify usage limitations of commonly used rigging hardware.
2. Identify correct installation procedures of rigging hardware.
3. Determine rated load of rigging hardware in various configurations.
Rigging gear general handling & safety
1. Safe practices in handling and selection of rigging gear.
2. Safe work practices during the rigging process.
3. Identify possible hazards to rigging gear.
4. Handling hoist and "below the hook" equipment.
Selection and use of slings
1. Explore correct methods of attaching slings and limitations.
2. Identify the incorrect ways of attaching slings to hooks.
3. Understand the importance of sling eye length to hook diameter.
4. Understand what is "Included sling angle".
Rigging gear inspection
1. Certification of rigging gear.
2. Types and frequency of required inspection.
3. Criteria for inspection and rejection.
Determining load weight by calculation
1. Calculate area and volume of basic objects.
2. Understand and use the standard weight table.
3. Calculate the weight of basic and complex shapes by area or volume.
Distribution of load weight
1. Understand center of gravity, balance point and moments and related calculations.
2. Understand what determines weight distribution to attachment points and related calculations.
3. How to and why apply the "two leg carries load" rule.
Sling angle stress & Rigging methods
1. Understand what is Sling angle stress and its hidden dangers.
2. How to use the angle stress factor table.
3. Determine the angle factor to calculate sling stress.
4. Determine sling length and minimum rated capacity.
5. Understand the different rigging methods of top/bottom lifts.
Diameter to diameter ratio
1. Explains D/d ratio and how to calculate.
2. How to use the ratio with with an efficiency table to determine rated load.
3. D/d ratio for chain and synthetic slings.